PWCCWR 21st Annual Specialty
August 23, 2019
Bill Stanton Community Park
- Show Chair: Sara Beis
- Show Secretary: Delores Norsic
- Advertising, Artwork & Trophies: Hope Weisburn
- Welcome Party: Debbie Dennis, and Deb Royster
- Decoration Ring & Trophy Table: Hope Weisburn & Debbie Dennis
- Match: Deborah Brooks
- Judge’s Gifts: Hope Weisburn
- Ribbons: Casey Pawl, DVM
- Silent Auction: Hope Weisburn & Deb Royster
- Banquet: Deb Royster
- Judges Hospitality: Linda Rhoads, Hope Weisburn & Sara Beis
- Show Photographer: Alyssa Janiszak
- Grounds: Dan Hartman & Sugarbush Kennel Club
- Ringside: Ron Smetana
- Catalog Sales and Ways & Means: Raelene Gorlinsky & Hope Weisburn
Regular Class Judge Ms. Amy Caple
I enjoyed my time at the PWCCWR specialty very much. Thank you to the club members for inviting me and to the exhibitors for bringing me your lovely dogs. The weather was absolutely perfect. I don’t think we could have asked for a more beautiful day, and it allowed me to take my time sorting through the very pretty entry. The Best of Breed ring was especially deep—a “downside” (if you can call it that) of judging a quality entry, is having to send really nice dogs out of the ring, but such is the nature of dog shows.
On the whole, outlines and movement were quite good. Our standard says “moderately long and low” and it was rewarding to see dogs that were not extreme and able to navigate the outdoor ring with ease. Length of ribbing could use improvement, as usual, and I also noted a number of round feet. Temperaments were terrific in both dogs and handlers!
~ Amy Caple (Sassapine)
BEST OF BREED
GCHP RIVERSIDE GET OVER IT (CH Aberlee Phantom Sequence x GCH Riverside Wicked Wonderful) Breeders: Deborah B Shindle & Tonya Jordan. Owner: Deborah Shindle.
BEST OF OPPOSITE SEX
GCHS LIONHART’S ALL ABOUT HARRY (GCH Martindale Black Bart x GCH Lionhart’s Cameo) Breeders: Daniel Hartman, Debbie Royster & Judy A. Manley. Owners: Daniel Hartman & Debbie Royster. Tricolor dog with good length-to-height proportions; he was “all boy” without being too much. Good head proportions, earset, and dark eye. He moved with beautiful ease at all times. He held a solid level topline standing and moving. BEST OF OPPOSITE SEX.
GCHS SPRINGMILL A BLAST FROM THE PAST (GCH Springmill Sweet Talkin Guy x GCH Springmill Dec Th’Halls) Breeders/Owners: Nancy Oehlhof & Mike Oehlhof. Red and white dog of a different style than the Best of Opposite Sex dog but he was also a very handsome dog. He had correct length-to-height proportions and moved easily.
GCH GREENWOODS SPARKLING DIAMOND(CH Greenwoods Midnight Flyer x CH Sandfox Greenwoods Chances Are) Breeders: Deidre Rogers, Mary Greenwood & Sharon Irving. Owners: Deidre Rodgers & Mary Greenwood. Red and white bitch of moderate size with correct proportions and balanced front-to-rear. She had a feminine head and moved so nicely. She carried a level topline at all times.
AWARDS OF MERIT
GCHB BROGAN BRIGHT LIGHT (GCHB Heritage Brogan Light the Lamp x GCH Brogan Tralee) Breeder/Owner: Mari M Carroll.
GCHB STERLING SHINE THE LIGHT(GCHS Lionhart’s All About Harry x GCH Sundance Grace Kelly) Breeders/Owners: Kara Janiszak & Alyssa Janiszak.
CH PERIVALE TAKING FLIGHT(CH Greenwoods Midnight Flyer x CH Sandfox Greenwoods Chances Are) Breeders: Feli Noeller DVM & Deidre Rodgers. Owners: Sharon Lofley & Feli Noeller DVM.
Sweepstakes Judge Mr. Mark Russo
It was an honor to be selected to judge my first Specialty Sweepstakes at Western Reserve. I have so looked forward to this day. Because of some last minute changes in our dog sitting arrangements at home, Sandy Wolfskill swooped into action and secured us a room in a different hotel that was dog-friendly. Sara Beis was an outstanding judges host. She greeted us upon arrival at the hotel, had us checked in, and offered a lovely welcome basket. We had a fabulous time chatting and a wonderful dinner on Lake Erie. The Club had some logistical challenges because of facilities construction at the site, but the lack of electricity and normal grooming area did not seem to be an issue with the exhibitors. This Club has an outstanding group of members who pool their efforts and always host a great show. Mother Nature provided us a Top 10 weather day!
Although the entry was not huge, it certainly did not suffer from lack of quality. Most of the dogs were of proper proportion, nice breed type, in reasonably good coat, and able to navigate the ring with fluid and balanced movement. My decisions in some of the classes were quick. But the 15-18 Bitch class really challenged me. After jockeying around this group, the final decisions required splitting hairs.
From the bottom of my heart, I thank the Western Reserve club for allowing me the opportunity to judge their Sweepstakes. And to the exhibitors, I truly appreciated your entries and gracious acceptance of my decisions.
~ Mark Russo (TownHill)
DOGS 7 YEARS AND UNDER 10 YEARS (2 entered, 0 absent)
1. GCH SANDFOX CADENZA Well, this handsome sable man commanded attention on the table and the ground. He is a timeless dog of moderate size and excellent proportions. His head is masculine, but not coarse. If this dog were presented in the ring 20 years ago, or 20 years from now, he would be a winner. On the table, it was exciting to go over his structure, as he is so well put together. On the move, he is a spectacle to watch from any direction. It was my pleasure to award him BEST OF OPPOSITE SEX VETERAN IN SWEEPSTAKES.
2. GCHB BAYMOOR IMAGINATION, RA HSAD AX AXJ MXF (GCH Sandfox Cadenza x GCH MACH Baymoor Levitation, TD PT MXS MJS OF T2B) Breeder: Bonnie Hansen. Owners: Bonnie Hansen, Diane Hansen & Lauren Hansen. This tricolor dog has a very handsome head and is in great condition. He carried a level and strong topline on the move. He was clean coming and going away. On the go around, he didn’t use his rear to the degree as the first place dog. As a package, another lovely exhibit.
BITCHES 7 YEARS AND UNDER 10 YEARS (3 entered, 0 absent)
1. GCH AUBREY’S ROLLIN ON THE RIVER I looked up at the table to see this stunning red and white bitch and knew she was the one. The view from 15 feet away was incredible, and the table exam did not disappoint. She has such a lovely feminine head with textbook proportions and features. Ears are set perfectly, the almond shape eye, just the right amount of stop and underjaw. The arching long neck flowed into a beautiful shoulder. Nice bone and oval shaped foot. Her topline was firm and level. The rear angulation was perfectly paired with the front end. On the move, she was fluid and purposeful. I could write a short novel about this girl and couldn’t wait to offer the trophy placing her as my BEST IN VETERAN SWEEPSTAKES.
2. GCHP RIVERSIDE GET OVER IT This super quality red and white bitch commands attention when she enters the ring. On the table, her head was of lovely proportions. She had proper ear set, good pigment, nice shaped eye, and right amount of underjaw. She carried a level and firm topline on the go around and was clean coming and going away. I was so happy to have her in my ring.
3. GCH BRYNLEA FINE SCIENCE Another feminine red and white bitch with a touch of sabling. She has beautiful breed type. Her body is of moderate size and carries a pleasing outline. Her head has soft, proportionate features. Good length of neck and firm, level topline. Nicely angulated front and rear. Moved well in all directions. She was less enthusiastic than the others, but equally as nice.
Win Photos by Alyssa Janiszak